The Cottage Hotel, Hope Cove
Kingsbridge, South Devon TQ7 3HJ
Five miles from Salcombe
Things to do in Hope Cove
Activities and places to go in Thurlestone, Salcombe, Kingsbridge, Dartmouth
Do as you please – the perfect antidote to today's hectic pace of life!
Relax and unwind with Hope Cove's stunning coastal scenery or explore inland in the heart of Devon's glorious countryside.
National Trust Properties
There are six within approximately an hour's drive from the hotel.
- Overbecks – Find Out More
- Saltram House – Find Out More
- Buckland Abbey – Find Out More
- Coleton Fishacre – Find Out More
- Compton Castle – Find Out More
- Bradley Manor – Find Out More
There are many more properties that are a little further away and are well worth visiting; the National Trust protects much of the surrounding coastline.
Spring comes early to the region and the gardens come into bloom well ahead of the rest of the country.
Recommended Gardens in Cornwall
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Mevagissey near St Austell – Find Out More
- Lanhydrock, Bodmin – Find Out More
- Cotehele, Saltash – Find Out More
- Antony House and Garden, Saltash – Find Out More
- Mount Edgcumbe, Cremyll, Torpoint – Find Out More
- The Eden Project near St Austell – 2 gigantic geodesic conservatories – a global garden – Find Out More
Recommended Gardens in Devon
- RHS Garden Rosemoor, Great Torrington – Find Out More
- The Garden House, Buckland Monachorum, Yelverton – Find Out More
- Castle Drogo, Drewsteignton – Find Out More
- Coleton Fishacre, Kingswear, Dartmouth – Find Out More
- Killerton, Broadclyst, Exeter – Find Out More
- Overbecks, Sharpitor, Salcombe – Find Out More
- Saltram, Plymouth – Find Out More
- Plant World, Newton Abbot – Find Out More
- Lukesland, Ivybridge – Find Out More
- Dartington Hall Gardens, Dartington – Find Out More
Explore on Foot
A country village or market town, coastline or estuary. Self-guided walking guides are available on loan from the hotel reception. They will enhance your enjoyment of the area.
Choose from a short stroll from a car park or walk from Hope Cove, a coast path hopper bus runs from May to September.
In addition to sea fishing from Hope Cove, from the Breakwater or rocks, deep-sea fishing trips operate from Salcombe.
There are opportunities for fresh water fishing nearby at Kingsbridge, Ermington and Sherford.
There are 12 golf courses within about an hour's drive from the hotel; enjoy discounted rates at Bigbury and Dartmouth. Please contact hotel reception.
Available locally at Dittiscombe near Slapton or try trekking over Dartmoor.
Nature Reserves – Bird Watching
- Slapton Ley Field Centre and Nature reserve, near Kingsbridge – organise guided walks
- South Milton Ley, near Hope Cove
- The Salcombe-Kingsbridge Estuary
Also excellent bird-watching at Prawle, Bowcombe Bird Hide, just past Kingsbridge towards Torcross.
If you are lucky you may spot the rare Cirl Bunting, Little Egrets and visiting Ospreys.
There are numerous migratory birds in the autumn.
A sample bird watching itinerary is available from hotel reception.
The hotel has contact with a local artist for tuition individually or to a small group; please contact us.
Paint from our hotel terrace, the beach, cliff tops, no shortage of good views!
Sailing – Water Sports
Launch your boat from Hope Cove and enjoy sea sailing, or the harbours of Salcombe, Newton Ferrers and Dartmouth can offer excellent sailing opportunities.
At Salcombe hire sailing dinghies or motor boats, go scuba diving, etc, or cruise the fascinating estuary nearby. At South Milton Sands, hire windsurfing equipment, surf skis, etc. (tuition available).
Tennis Courts nearby at Thurlestone, Malborough and Salcombe.
An enjoyable experience with fascinating town centres offering a unique collection of small shops with unusuaI gifts, craft products and local food and drink.
The Cottage Hotel and Tanfield Bed & Breakfast are family seaside venues in the South West of England, South Devon. We welcome all to the West Country.